Friday, September 25, 2009

Borrowing From Robert Creeley

I've been depressed, the natural progression from busy, overwhelmed, and stressed. It's an old story. It's even an old story among poets.

I found this little gem in an old copy of American Poet -- I'm trying to recycle years of magazines so I don't have to move them back into the newly remodeled house. Anyway, I love it, it speaks both of the blackness and the energy that eventually comes again (if your drugs are good enough to keep you alive that long).

I Know A Man

As I sd to my
friend, because I am
always talking, -- John, I

sd, which was not his
name, the darkness sur-
rounds us, what

can we do against
it, or else, shall we &
why not, buy a goddamn big car,

drive, he sd, for
christ's sake, look
out where yr going.

Thank you, Robert Creeley. From The Collected Poems of Robert Creeley, 1945-1975 (Univ. of Calif. Press, 2008)

No comments: