Monday, September 8, 2008

Working through Boland blogs

I'm starting to do my research for my thesis, and am finding all kinds of interesting blogs about Eavan Boland. Here are two:

Exphrasis: Poetry Inspired by Art and Song of a Reformed Headhunter (Jee Leong Koh) -- the later in particular discusses three poems I've been researching, one about a Degas painting, one about a Renoir painting, and one about an Ingres drawing. Since I'm lazy, I will not post the photos of these artworks, nor reproduce the poems. If you're interested, follow the links. Oh, what the heck, here's the Ingres. I like her clear face, her beautiful skin, her neck, her firmness -- wrapped all up in hasty sketches and ruffles -- a woman in a potato chip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

from Therese Broderick--Thank you so much for linking to my blog entry about Eavan Boland's ekphrastic poems! I admire her poetry so much. I wrote my own MFA "extended critical essay" (similar to a critical thesis) about the Persephone myth in her poems. I went to Bread Loaf where I heard her give a lecture, a reading, and a classroom discussion. I wish you success in your research on her work.

Jennifer Swanton Brown said...

Thanks for your good wishes. I hope to begin my thesis in January. Maybe we can "talk" more then.